Crispy Panko Crumped Lupin Tempeh Finger is nutritious vegan snack packed with flavor & goodness. These tempeh fingers are certainly the crowd favorite, even for those who are unsure about tempeh or vegan food in general. The texture and natural nutty flavor of Lupin beans combines with the sweet salty marinates, plus the crispy coating is a match made in heaven.
You can eat them as is, or also tastes good with mustard, vegan mayo etc. They work as a snack, appetizer and/or main. Here, I eat it as main with buckwheat rice, steamed veggies and a dash of peanut pecel sauce.
Lupin tempeh is an excellent alternative to the traditional soy-based tempeh. It tastes as good and nutritionally packed with protein, B12 & amino acids. This recipe will take it to the next level.
Start with a simple marinate. Combine 1 tbsp. soy sauce 1 tbsp. lemon juice and 1 garlic clove minced. Let it marinate for at least an hour in the fridge or even better overnight.
Instead of using eggs as a binding agent, combine water with ground flax seed until it forms a gel like consistency. In a separate container, add salt, pepper & a pinch of sweet paprika to the panko crumbs, mix well. Dip the marinated tempeh fingers into the flax seed gel, make sure it covers all sides and then coat it well with the panko crumbs.
I prefer to use air fryer to fry this tempeh fingers without oil or you can also bake it in oven for about 25 mins until golden.
Crispy Panko-Crumped Lupin Tempeh Fingers
- 200 g Lupin Tempeh
For the marinates
- 1 tbsp soy sauyce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
For the binding
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup water
For the coating
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cut tempeh into approximately 1.5cm strips
- Mix all the marinate ingredients in a shallow container, add tempeh strips and coat all sides. Allow to marinate for at least an hour, stir & recoat in between.
- Mix binding ingredients in another bowl, let it sit for approx 10 mins until it forms gel like consistency
- In the mean time, mix all coating ingredients together in a separate bowl
- Dip marinated tempeh first in the binding mixture, then to the final panko coating mixture. Make sure all sides are covered well. Transfer to air fryer tray (or baking tray lined with oiled baking paper). Repeat for all strips.
- If using air fryer function at 200C, fry each side for approx 10 mins or until golden.
- If using oven, pre-heat to 180C, bake for 25 minutes, gently turning half way through
- Serve while hot as is or with preferred dipping sauce (mustard, mayo, tomato/chilli sauce, etc)